2023 HEAD-TO-HEAD SPLITS AGAINST CONNECTICUT & LAS VEGAS
Against CON (4 GP & 4-0 W-L): 20.8 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 4.8 APG, 2.5 SPG, 1.3 BPG, 53.1 FG%, 33.3 3PT%, 2 double-doubles
- Alyssa Thomas vs NYL (4 GP & 0-4 W-L): 11.5 PPG, 7.3 RPG, 6.0 APG, 1.8 SPG, 32.7 FG%, 2 double-doubles, & 1 triple-double
Against LVA (5 GP & 3-2 W-L): 17 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 4 APG, 2.2 BPG
- A’ja Wilson vs NYL (5 GP & 2-3 W-L): 15.6 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1.2 APG, 1.6 BPG
(w/o CC) Against LVA (4 GP & 2-2 W-L): 18 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 4.8 APG, 2.3 BPG, 35.6 FG%, 1 double-double
- A’ja Wilson vs NYL (4 GP & 2-2 W-L): 17.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.5 APG, 1.8 BPG, 48.1 FG%, 0 double-doubles
SEASON AVERAGES (as of 9/5):
SEASON TOTALS (as of 9/5):
Through September 5, Breanna Stewart sits atop the W in win shares (10.3), offensive win shares (6.9), and defensive win shares (3.3).
Only twice in WNBA history has a player led the league across all three win shares categories, Sheryl Swoopes in 2000 and Sylvia Fowles in 2017. On both occasions, that player won MVP and the WNBA Championship.
If the season ended today, Stewart’s 10.25 win shares would rank No.1 all-time in WNBA history ahead of Cynthia Cooper’s 10.02 in 1998. Source: Basketball Reference.
On a poll published by The Athletic on September 5th, over half of WNBA players polled voted Stewie as the best player in the W; of 54.3% to A’ja’s 31.4% to Nneka 8.6%
2023 WNBA All-Star Captain 2023 Commissioner’s Cup Champion 6x Eastern Conference Player of the Week Honors 3x Eastern Conference Player of the Month Honors
- Set career-highs in scoring (45) and three-pointers made (6) as well as a new Liberty single-game scoring record (45) and a new franchise record for made field goals (15) on 5/21 (home opener at Barclays Center).
- 45-point performance on 5/21 is the most scored in under 31 minutes of play in WNBA history.
- Set franchise record for most points over a two-game span with 66 points from 5/21 to 5/27.
- Named POTW on 5/30 – 1st POTW honor of the season.
- Named POTM for the Month of May – 1st POTM honor.
- Became the first player in WNBA history to record at least 200 points, 100 rebounds, and 40 assists through the team’s first 10 games on 6/13
- Named POTW on 6/13 – 2nd POTW honor.
- Became the fastest player to reach 4,000 points on 6/27
- Set Liberty franchise record for the most career 40-point games with her 43-point performance against the Mercury on 7/5
- Became the first player with multiple 40-point games in a season since 2018 on 7/5
- Recorded second-ever game of at least 40 points, 12 rebounds, and five assists in WNBA history on 7/5
- Named POTW on 7/13 – 3rd POTW honor.
- Captained second-consecutive All-Star Team on 7/15.
- Became first player with 25-point, five-rebound, five-assist half & recorded second-ever 30-point, 10-rebound, five-assist, zero-turnover game on 7/27
- Joined Maya Moore as the only two players to record 500 points, 200 rebounds, and 50 made threes through their team’s first 25 games on 7/30.
- Named KIA WNBA Player of the Month for the Month of July – 2nd POTM honor.
- Named POTW on 8/1 – 4th POTW honor.
- Tied the WNBA record for first-half scoring with a career-high 30-point half on 8/13.
- Became the first-ever WNBA player to record three 40-point games in a season on 8/13.
- Joined Maya Moore (3x) & Diana Taurasi (4x) as only players to eclipse the 40-point mark 3+ times in their careers
- Named POTW on 8/15 – 5th POTW honor.
- Won second-career Commissioner’s Cup Championship on 8/15; first-ever player to win multiple cups.
- First championship hardware of any kind in the Liberty’s 27-year franchise history.
- Broke the NY Liberty’s single-season scoring record on 8/24, eclipsing Cappie Pondexter’s previous record of 729 points.
- Set New York Liberty franchise single-season 30-plus point games record on 8/26 with her sixth such game of the season, breaking the previous three-way tie.
- Broke the WNBA single-season record for the most 25-point halves on 8/26 with her fourth such half of the season.
- Broke New York Liberty franchise single-season rebounds record on 8/28.
- Named POTM for the Month of August – 3rd POTM honor this season.
- Broke WNBA single-season scoring record on 9/5
- Tied Liberty single-season franchise double-double record of 20 on 9/5
- Extended WNBA record for single-season 40-point games to four on 9/5
- Tied WNBA all-time career 40-point game record on 9/5
- Tied WNBA single-season 35-plus point games record on 9/5
- Named POTW on 9/6 – 6th POTW honor this season. POTM honor this season.
NEW YORK LIBERTY HIGHLIGHTS IN STEWART’S 1ST SEASON:
Most wins in franchise history (31)
Best record in franchise history (31-7, .816)
First-ever WNBA Commissioner’s Cup Championship on August 15
Including Commissioner’s Cup, New York is 22-3 (.880) over its last 25 contests and 14-1 over its last 15 (.933), pacing the league in nearly every statistical category post All-Star break.
Liberty home game attendance is up 2.2k/game this year (more than 2x the league average)
Liberty national TV ratings are up 79% YoY, which is the largest ratings increase of any team in the league (rest of WNBA is +9% YoY collectively).
Liberty have an 80% increase in social media conversation, which is the largest increase in mentions for any team in the league.
We’re so happy Breanna Stewart’s in New York, because she’s taken us to another level. She’s a superstar.
HC Sandy Brondello
The things you see are the things that make her so special: her ability to score on multiple levels, her defense and timing in blocking shots. But what you guys don’t see is her commitment to be ready every day. She’s been our leader.” She’s a leader in the locker room, on our team. We look to her to talk to us and share her insights... You see where we started as a team, and she never wavered. Her professionalism, her belief, [she’s] definitely our MVP.”
“Stewie’s just phenomenal. … I just think her size and her athletic ability is phenomenal. If anyone doesn’t say Stewie, then they’re just oblivious.”
ANONYMOUS WNBA PLAYER
FOR “The Athletic” Article on 9/6
“What can’t (Stewie) do?”
ANONYMOUS WNBA PLAYER
FOR “The Athletic” Article on 9/6
“Stewie is the best player in the world just off of skill set.”